What is nickel allergy?
A common skin allergy that appears as a rash after exposure to anything containing nickel such as jewelry, cell phones, eyeglasses, etc.
- Symptoms appear 12 to 48 hours after exposure.
- Itching, redness, rash, dry patches, and swelling of the skin.
- Rashes sometimes turn into blisters that may break, causing crusty and scaly skin.
- Rash is usually limited to the area in direct contact with nickel. However, in rare cases, may spread.
- Nickel allergy remains for life but can be controlled.
- Avoid jewelry, clothing snaps, cell phones are other nickel containing products.
- Mild symptoms may be treated with a hydrocortisone cream and antihistamine pills.
- Severe symptoms are treated with a prescription steroid cream.
- Oral steroids and antihistamine pills may also be used.
If skin is left untreated, skin may become dark, leathery, and cracked. Skin may also become infected and appear red with a yellow crust.
- Avoid jewelry containing nickel.
- Avoid nickel-rich foods such as fish and chocolate since foods with a high nickel content could also cause a rash in patients with a nickel allergy.
Learn more at the WebMD: WebMD Nickel (Jewelry) Allergies: Symptoms, Treatments, and Avoiding Triggers.